Teletherapy and Technology in Stammering Therapy
Time & Location
About The Event
Speakers: Ali Berquez, Sophie Card and Rosie Markland; Stephanie Burgess; Ben Bolton-Grant & Teresa Howarth; Jessie Smithson & Sarah Brown; Gareth Walkom.
We hope you are able to join us for our next study day, which will be livestreamed. We will be using Zoom to host the day. Instructions on how to join the livestream will be emailed to members prior to the study day. Videos of all talks will also be available for at least one month after the event in the members’ section of our website.
Content of the day:
- 09:00 - 09:15: Meeting opens – please log on at 09:00 to give us time to admit all members who are attending the meeting.
- 09:15 - 09:30: Introductions and Zoom etiquette
- 09:30 -10:30: Delivering group therapy online - Ali Berquez, Sophie Card and Rosie Markland (Michael Palin Centre for Stammering)
Ali, Rosie and Sophie will give a brief overview of group therapy and how it is used at the Michael Palin Centre. Their talk will cover the benefits of group therapy, top tips for running groups online (planning, getting started, keeping going and ending), and client experiences.
- 10:30 -11:00: Online resources to share with children and adults who stammer during teletherapy sessions - Stephanie Burgess (Airedale NHS Foundation Trust)
Steph will present visuals and slides that she has developed to be able to share information with people through screen sharing.
- 11:00 – 11:15: Break
- 11:15 – 11:45: Talking Out Online - Ben Bolton-Grant and Teresa Howarth
Ben and Teresa will share their experiences of planning and running Talking Out Online, a brand new intensive online group for teenagers. They will focus particularly on how to support young people to embrace challenge during an online group, and the value of using telehealth to work with parents and young people concurrently.
· 11:45-12:15: Project creating videos to support parents of children who stammer - Jessie Smithson and Sarah Brown (South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust)
We are also hoping to hear from Jessie and Sarah (South Tees Hospitals NHS Trust) about their project developing videos to support parents of children who stammer. Note - this is subject to change and may be covered at a future study day instead.
- 12:15-13:00: Lunch break
- 13:00 – 13:45: Breakout rooms to share experiences and tips for teletherapy
- 13:45 – 15:15: Virtual Reality and Technology in Stammering Therapy – Gareth Walkom
Gareth Walkom is a researcher into virtual reality and stammering. He has recently founded withVR, which provides tools to practice customisable speaking scenarios using virtual reality. His description of his talk is as follows:
We are currently in a time where technology and virtual reality are now more commonly used in speech therapy and research worldwide. Using revolutionary technology, we can now transform virtual experiences to be more realistic than ever before, creating speaking situations that are sometimes impossible to create, control, and stop in the clinical setting. With new technology comes fear - a fear of adaptation, understanding, and change.
In this talk, Gareth will be identifying how technology and virtual reality have been and are currently being used for stammering, including real speech therapists that are utilizing it today. This talk will help you to relate multiple use cases, helping you use technology and virtual reality no matter your technical background.
- 15:15 - 15:30 – Close of study day
You can reserve your place via the member’s area of our website http://www.dysfluencycen.co.uk
EXISTING MEMBERS 2020/21
If you have already joined/renewed your membership for 2020/21and have previously created a login for our website, you can go straight to the "Events" page and book your place.
RENEWAL 2020/21 If you want to renew your membership for 2020/21, go to the "JOIN" page of our website. There is no need to complete a membership form if you were a member in 2019/20. You can go directly to the payment box, log in, and make your payment via PayPal.
Once you have renewed your membership, go to the "Events" page, and book your place.
NEW MEMBERS 2020/21
If you want to join for 2020/21, go to the "JOIN" page of the website,
Please fill in the membership form and click "SUBMIT" Then go to the payment box and choose one of the two options below (Full or REDUCED). Click "SELECT.” You will then be prompted to sign up or login, Please sign up by creating a login(with your name, email and creating a password). We will check this information against your membership form and approve you. You can then purchase your membership via PayPal.
Once you have joined go to the "Events" page and book your place.
- All memberships run for a year from October 1st to September 30th. You will need to join or renew your membership for year 2020/21 if you would like to attend.
- The CEN cannot invoice employers.
COST for attending the study day:
- SLT members are free if you have already renewed your membership for 2020/21 and paid the annual subscription of £25
- Student members are free, if you have already renewed your membership for 2020/21 and paid the annual student subscription of £10
Note from membership secretary – Debra Craven
Please note it can be difficult to join the CEN if you access the website on a mobile phone, tablet, or some NHS computers. You will be more successful accessing via personal computer or laptop.
We do understand that some people have had problems accessing the website, joining the CEN and/or registering for study days via the website. Apologies for any issues and please be reassured that you can still join by completing and emailing a membership form. It is also possible to pay by direct bank transfer.
If you have any queries relating to membership or need any support, please do not hesitate to contact me directly:firstname.lastname@example.org Thank you.
- Online attendance£0£00£0